Savant Books and Publications is seeking outstanding poems for inclusion in a 2014 Poetry Anthology tentatively scheduled for publication in mid to late 2014. This call will remain open until filled. There are no subject restrictions.
Unlike most Savant Books and Publications,
this is NOT a royalty-paying publication
this is NOT a royalty-paying publication
Author's may submit up to five (5) poems of up to 100 lines each.
There is no submission fee. No complementary copies will be issued. Instead, poets agree by submitting one or more poems to purchase ten (10) copies of the anthology at half-off the suggested retail price if any one or more of their poems are accepted for publication. To do this, a PayPal invoice from Savant Books and Publications will be issued after publication (PayPal payments, eChecks and major credit cards accepted). Additional copies can be purchased by participating poets in lots of 10 at half off the suggested retail price for personal use, book-signings, promotion, and/or resale at whatever price the poet chooses. All discounted purchases must be made from the anthology's "author purchase page" using PayPal.
The anthology will be available for public purchase from the printer, publisher, Savant Bookstores, on Amazon.com, and both "brick and mortar" and online independent bookstores worldwide. In addition, Savant Books and Publications will maintain a Savant book website page with active links to the above purchase channels, press release(s) and reviews.
The anthology will typically be offered to the public at a suggested retail price (SRP), usually about $US 12.95, depending on size and total number of poems. The 2014 Anthology, our fifth yearly anthology, may also include select poems published in the previous four anthologies. The anthology, at the publisher's discretion, may also be made available in electronic format about one year after softcover release.
The Anthology team will begin selection, editing, layup and proofing on or about January 2014. FIRST BREATH, the 2010 Savant poetry anthology received wide acclaim. WAVELENGTHS, the 2011 Savant poetry anthology, won first place in poetry at the 2012 London Book Festival. FIFTY-EIGHT STONES, the 2012 Savant poetry anthology is still working its way throughout the world and has launched several poet/author careers.
All decisions by the anthology editor regarding selection of submitted poems are final.
A. Preparing the Poem (Part 1 of the PSP)
For each poem, you must submit a complete email PSP. Send one poem with each PSP email!
Acceptable General Form
Poems must be submitted in electronic format in either Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx), Open Office (.docx), Apple Pages (.pages) or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
Acceptable Internal Format
All poems must meet the following internal format requirements:
- one-inch margins at top, bottom and sides;
- black, regular, 12-point, Times New Roman font with only the following embellishments allowed:
- italics (i.e. oblique style)
- non-smart quotes (")
- non-smart half-quotes and apostrophes (')
- NO OTHER EMBELLISHMENTS
- left-justified only;
- all double-spaced;
- one hard return at the end of each line;
- two hard returns after a section (if the work is divided into sections);
- indicate pages if more than one (e.g. JANIK - PAGE 2 OF 3) at the top of each page.
B. The Body of the Email (Part 2 of the PSP)
Compose a file that includes ALL of the following questions. Answer the questions (except #13, just make sure it is there).
- Poem Title:
- Subtitle or Byline:
- Author's pen name for this poem, if any:
- Author's actual, full, legal name:
- Author's complete mailing address:
- Author contact phone number:
- Author FAX number (if one is available):
- Author email contact address:
- Synopsis, forward or explanation (25 words maximum; not required):
- Dedication, if any (25 words maximum; not required):
- Author Biography (100 words maximum):
- List of all places this work was published (include proper citation, and if published on the internet, all internet links; if unpublished type in "unpublished"):
- The following statement: "I submit this poem for publication in the Savant 2010 Anthology. By submitting this email, I certify that (1) I agree with the terms and conditions as specified; (2) this poem is my own original work; and (3) I certify that I alone own clear, complete and total rights to the work."
- In the "Subject" line of your email, type in your LAST NAME followed by "2014 POEM" all in capital letters (e.g. "SMITH 2014 POEM")
- Make sure you have copied and pasted the above 13 PSP questions with your answers into the BODY OF THE EMAIL.
- Attach the correctly-formed and formatted poem to the email
- Check once more to make sure you have included all necessary information
- Send it to
email@example.comSavant Books and Publications (SBP) will acknowledge receipt of each PSP submission via email usually within 4 weeks. If you have a firewall or spam blocker be sure to add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your "accept" list. If you haven't received acknowledgment of receipt within 4 weeks, please resend.
You may submit your poem to other publishers; however, once a poem is accepted for the anthology, it can not appear in any other publications until one (1) month AFTER the Savant anthology is released. Submitted materials will not be returned. Materials not accepted for publication will be destroyed.
Address any questions to email@example.com